Thursday, July 30, 2009

Am I Gray?

Have I turned gray? Is my hair 1/3, 1/4, 3/4 gray!!??



Gee, I haven't seen my real hair color in about 15 years. I do notice that the hair along my temples is starting to be REALLY gray, though. I used to know when it was time to color my hair when those ash brown roots started to show. Now, however, those ash brown roots look alot like gray roots.



A colleague of mine let herself go gray a few years ago. No one knew how gray, how white, her hair was. She turned gray, she told me, when she was 22. So she'd been coloring even longer than me. It was a pretty dramatic change. She went from brown to absolutely white overnight. And looked fabulous.



This decision I am trying to make was probably prompted by the recession. I recently had to stop visiting my favorite hair salon for color. I was paying, with tips and waxing my eyebrows and upper lip, about $180 each time. That's about $180 every 2 months. My budget just won't support that. Those high lights and low lights were very luxuriant and a treat that until this year I have never been able to afford. And then the economy tanked and I needed to cut back spending and those expensive salon visits went first.



So I'm back to my familiar box colors.



One box every 6 weeks or so, with a touch up 3 weeks after... that's definitely do-able. I cautiously color my eyebrows at the same time. What a deal.



Except.. maybe it's time to go au naturelle. Is it time to let the real me show through? I like looking a little younger than 53... being overweight does have it's benefits... the wrinkles are plumped up. But is it time to stop using that familiar light ash brown shade of semi-permanent hair color, time to go gray? I was talking about this last week to my sister. My husband walked in, overheard, and chuckled. He tells me he wants more gray. People trust lawyers with gray in their hair he tells me.



Just the other day we were out and my husband saw a lovely woman in Costco. He casually remarked to me how he's always had a thing for young women who've gone gray.



"How young?" I ask him.



"Oh, about 50-ish," he replied.



I am married to the most absolutely wonderful man in the world.

2 comments:

  1. My ex-husband had a paternal aunt who was a nun in a French-speaking order. She had an amazing career, but I will save her life story for another time.

    When Vatican II lifted some of the restrictions regarding dress, Sister was already in her late sixties. She was delighted to wear regular clothes she was especially pleased to let her hair grow out...the last time she had seen her hair it was long, dark brown and curly. When it grew out after forty some years, it was gray and straight.

    Sister had never been a vain person, but she really hated her hair turning gray so her solution was to buy a curly blond wig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike is a wise man. What a perfect response =). Glad you guys are so in love!
    I'm debating my grey too...though i'm younger, the grey is coming in fast, in thick stripes over my ears.

    ReplyDelete