Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's Getting Scary Out There

The NY Times today published an article about a multi-generational family living together due to the recession’s financial impact and outlining the struggles that family faces.
I always wanted to have everyone live together. My mother used to accuse me of wanting to have my entire family living in little houses in my back yard. And she was right. And so that article really hit me hard this morning. People losing their jobs and not being able to find another. People resorting to essentially living in their bedrooms. People holding on to that last step before homelessness.
I’m touched again by how incredibly lucky I am. I have a job I love. A family that’s dysfunctional just enough to be interesting and not quite enough to have turned us all into sociopaths. Loving children whom I get to see whenever I like. A wonderful mom-in-law. A true friend who just happens to be my husband. A good marriage.
And the opportunity to love them all. I have the privilege of being able to help people occasionally. I have a home in a safe place, all the stuff I could ever want or need, too much to eat and good health.
And as I am thoughtful regarding those without, I am thankful for all that I have as I turn my face towards the new year.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. And as one who has benefited from both your amazing friendship and amazingly-timed generosity, I thank you. <3
    I would love to be physically closer to my family and in-laws. I regret our society has lost this.

    ReplyDelete